Fogarty Carbine & Rifle
This levergun was produced in Boston between 1866 and 1869. It is a .50 caliber rimfire leveraction, first made under the name of Fogarty Repeating Rifle Co. in 1866. The company became the American Repeating Rifle Co. in 1867 and was purchased by Winchester in 1869, most likely to keep them from becoming competitors. Winchester sold all the Fogarty machinery almost as soon as the sale was finalized, and they never utilized any of the patents that they purchased from Fogarty, giving further evidence that their purpose in buying the company was simply to keep it off the market.